Monday, January 22, 2007

Attack of the Killer 8.1

Run: 8.1 Miles
Time: 1:41:11
Total Miles in Jan: 39.3
Total Cross Training Miles in Jan: 21.1

Had a good dinner with my wife and daughter tonight. I was really not motivated for my 8 miles tonight and once again I tried to talk myself out of running but....., I didn't listen.

I didn't get out on my run until about 8:30 tonight. When I started it was about 36 degrees but thankfully no wind to speak of. I decided to do my 2.7 mile loop times three. The first lap was great just kept a nice easy pace and chugged along. Now I decided that I needed to hydrate for this run so not having a water belt I left my water along my route and when I got to it I decided that I would walk a fast pace while drinking then when done toss and go. So when I started my second lap I decided to pick up my pace a little bit and was averaging around a high 9 minute mile pace. I think turning up my pace on the second lap burned me out because my last 3 miles were a struggle to say the least. I realized tonight that 8 miles is long way and I am really feeling it in my knees and feet hence the title of this post. However, even though I wanted to stop and just walk I kept plugging along. I just kept Phillipians 4:13 in my mind..."I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"..., and once again my faith pushed me through. I finally crossed the finish line in 1:41:11 which is a 12:29 per mile pace.

Here are my split times.
SplitsTimes
1Mile00:12:29.50
2Mile00:24:59.01
3Mile00:37:28.51
4Mile00:49:58.02
5Mile01:02:27.52
6Mile01:14:57.03
7Mile01:27:26.54
8Mile01:39:56.04
8.1Mile01:41:10.99

As I walked through the door tonight after my run I couldn't help but to think back to three years ago at 300 pounds I would have never dreamed of completing 3 miles much less 8. It truly has already been a successful journey. It's amazing the things we can do when we put our minds to it! If your struggling your not alone and you can do it and you will be successful! Work hard in life and you will accomplish great things!

Tomorrow I have 5.4 scheduled. I've decided to start my 16 week half marathon training program on Monday Jan 29th. I am still tweaking my plan but will have it finished by this weekend. I am also going to make some changes to my diet and get a little more hardcore. Once I get everything setup I will post my diet and training plan in detail.

Have a good night and don't let the bed bugs bite (as my daughter would say)!



No comments: