Wednesday, January 23, 2008

A Week In Review...

Wow, its been over a week since my last post. Talk about a slacker! Last week went well in the workout department with 4 Elliptical sessions and 3 strength training sessions. I've dropped about 7 pounds for Jan.

I had off from classes this past Monday night but got back to it last night. Feels like its been a month since I had a class. Last Thursday my nutrition class was cancelled due to the snow and ice storm we had last week and Wednesday night we left early, so its been a week. I wish I could say I did get some studying in but I admit the books did not get opened much at all during this past week.

Last Thursday we got about 3 inches of snow and Gracie and I went out and made two fabulous snowmen or as Gracie said, snowboy and snowgirl! I posted some pics in the photo blog of the snowboy and snowgirl. We had a blast playing in the snow and just goofing around. This past weekend was just the three of us hanging out as a family and I enjoyed every minute of it. We had a great time. We did get Gracie enrolled in the K5 program at Southside Christian this past week. I think this will be Mon-Fri from 8am until 2:50pm. Ashli has been talking about getting back to work once Gracie starts K5 which I think she is kind of excited about. Her last 5 years have been dedicated to Gracie, just an amazing job she has done and we are both glad she was able to stay home with her. Gracie is doing fantastic in K4 and we are very proud of her and how far she has come.

I will not be able to run in the Greenville News Rundowntown this Saturday due to a prior commitment. Also, Saturday afternoon my parents will be strolling in to town for a few days which Gracie is excited about. I'm looking ahead to February and may run in the Green Valley road race 8k but will just have to see how things go. Gotta get out and start on the mileage before I can run any race and hopefully that will start this week, no it will start this week! I can't believe I let myself go this long without consistent running or even more so then that I can't believe how quickly the time has gone by, Phew! Time needs to slow down some!

One setback last week was my wife's car. We had three ignition coils and a leaky valve cover gasket, $500 LATER we are driving again! Ouch! Then early this week I noticed another ignition coil is down and maybe a bad sparkplug. Probably will be another $300 or so before the car gets back to normal. Not fun to have those kind of surprise bills popup. I will say we've had the car for about 4 years now and it really has been a good car so I can't really complain....on second thought, yes I can!:)

Last night I got on the treadmill after class and went 2 miles and was a minute faster per mile then the last little test I did. Glad to see the improvement so quickly. After the short run I did some negative resistance training or Eccentric muscle training (lengthening of the muscle). Doing negatives is about resistance through the entire movement, with a bench press its doing a two seconds up and three seconds down movement. This type of training can help push you past a strength plateau but may also leave you with some DOMS (Delayed onset muscle soreness) and probably only should be done once or twice a week at the most. I've been stuck at a few different plateaus and hope this will help and yes I'm sore this morning.

I'm going to try and squeeze a workout in somewhere today even if its running late tonight. Have a great rest of the week! - Jason

2 comments:

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

SOunds like a busy life in the world of Jason :-) Glad u got that car back up and running again...always something huh! Keep fitting in those workouts to clear ur head and keep u sane--lol

Have a great weekend!

Darrell said...

Love the snowmen.

Sounds like a busy, but good, week. Hopefully you can get some studying done too.

Great job with the 7 lbs