Saturday, April 7, 2007

Brutal Wind/Longest Run

April Totals
Running: 20.2
Biking: 0
Weight Loss: 1 Pound

Today's Run
Run: 12.1 Miles
Time: 2:33:16
Pace: 12:40

Before I get in to today's run let me preface this post with a few things. Last night my allergies went from bad to worse and I think I caught a full blown head cold, maybe sinus infection. I started taking antibiotics last night just in case. I only got 4 hours of sleep last night due to the sneezing and nose blowing and just awful sinus pressure. In fact late last night I was convinced that I was going to have to cancel the run.

I got up this morning and had my usual meal of whole wheat toast, sliced banana, natural peanut butter, and a 32oz water. I sat around and watched tv for a while just trying to clear out my sinuses and by 11am I was feeling really good. Still stuffy but nothing below the neck which would have stopped the run. So I decided to fix a bowl of Progresso Chicken noodle soup and drink some more water. By 12pm today I was getting ready for my run.

I got to Donaldson Center around 1pm and geared up for the run. In my fuel belt I had 30oz of water and 10oz of Gatorade Endurance blend. So, I was off on my adventure and feeling really good. The Donaldson loop is only 7.1 miles so I new I was going to have to add some mileage and preferably earlier rather then later:). Let me just say that the wind was just brutal, thankfully through the hills section of the loop it was at my back pushing me up the hills. Everything was great and I decided to take some liquid at the 6.5 mile mark. I drank 10oz of water and 4oz of Gatorade and got back to it after a few minutes of walking. Here is where the trouble started...on the back side of the loop the wind was blowing straight at me and probably the strongest wind I've ever tried to run in. That wind blasted me for the next 6 miles right to the very end. Looking at my Garmin my average speed went from 5.5 to 4.5mph and then finally I had to slow to what I would call a death march kind of walk until finally with only about a mile and half left I was able to at least push to a 4.5mph speed. The wind was so bad at one point I almost had to stop but with head down I just kept telling myself one step at a time and I was able to keep pushing forward.

The second half of the run really slowed my pace to a crawl but I had to remind myself this was not about time for me but distance. I finally pushed through to the finish and was very happy to complete my longest run ever and only 1 mile shy of the half distance! Even though the second half of the run was terrible I am so excited to have run over the 12 mile mark! WAHOO! Got home and took a nice long hot shower and I seem to be recovering well. I am sore and my face is wind burnt but I don't care, it feels great. My oatmeal raisin Clif bar tasted so good!

Tomorrow is Easter Sunday and will be a nice day of rest for me. After church tomorrow we are going out to eat with family and it should be a good time. My wife and I got our daughter an Easter basket and a few little toys which she will love. It's always great to spend time with family and I'm looking forward to it. I hope everyone has a great and safe Saturday night and Easter Sunday morning. - Jason The Running Man


Lisa - Slow & Steady said...

Good job on your long run.

Happy Easter!

Gripperm said...

Great job on the run and to be sick on top off that

Mir said...

Nice run--it was super windy here as well on Saturday, but I only ran 4 miles! Good for you to get out there and get it done despite the weather and being sick.